Autism, also known as an Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), is a term used to represent a group of neurodevelopmental conditions.
Disparities in social interaction and communication characterize such conditions. People with ASD often show restricted and repetitive interests or patterns of behaviour.
ASD is found in people worldwide, regardless of ethnicity and race, culture, or economic background.
Based on studies, Autism is found more often in boys than in girls. The research was conducted on 8-year-olds in 11 locations throughout the United States and found a 4.3-to-1, boy-to-girl ratio. Nearly 1 in 54 of the study participants had Autism.
Moreover, it is found that instances of Autism are on the rise. Some attribute this growth to environmental factors. However, experts debate whether there’s a substantial growth in cases or just more routine diagnosis.
Let’s learn the causes and signs of Autism in little detail.
Signs & Symptoms of Autism
The signs and symptoms of Autism vary widely based on the child’s age. Even the age of showing signs is different. Some infants show hints in their first months and others later at 2 or 3.
Not all kids with Autism show all the symptoms. Many children who don’t have Autism show a few. That’s why professional help is essential.
Here is the list of symptoms your child at risk for an autism spectrum disorder may show.
In 6 months child
- No engaging expressions, be it smile or joy
- Little to no eye contact
In 9 months child
- No smiles, little to no sharing of sounds
- No facial expressions
In 12 months Child
- Little to no babbling
- No showing of gestures like indicating, pointing, reaching or waving
- No reply to name
In 16 months child
- No words or no active communication
In 24 months child
- No meaningful communication
- Only two-word phrases (no imitating or repeating)
At any age
- Problem comprehending other people’s emotions
- Babbling, loss of previously acquired speech, or no social skills
- Repetition of words
- Not comfortable with any changes in routine or surroundings
- No eye contact with anyone
- No local interests
- Constant preference for isolation
- Redundant behaviours ( rocking, flapping, spinning, etc.)
- No or late language development
- Unique and extreme reactions to smells, noise, tastes, surfaces, lights and paints
If your child shows any of such signs and symptoms, reach experts or doctors or Best Rehab Centre in India for an evaluation immediately.
Causes of Autism
Well, there is no specific cause of ASD, or it can be said that the real cause is still unknown. Even various studies demonstrated that there’s no single cause.
Some presumed risk factors for ASD include:
- Any close, autistic family member
- Some genetic mutations
- Fragile X syndrome
- Genetic disorders
- Being delivered by older parents
- Very low birth weight
- Metabolic inequalities
- Vulnerability to environmental toxins
- Mother with a history of infections
- Maternal exposure to the medications valproic acid or thalidomide (Thalomid)
According to studies, both genetics and environment may decide whether an individual develops ASD.
However, various sources, old and new, have concluded that vaccines do not cause ASD.
If symptoms are found, what to do…
If you’ve observed other red flags in your child for autism, it is developmentally delayed; schedule an appointment with your expert right away. In fact, if they are hitting the developmental milestones on schedule, it’s the most promising idea to have your child screened by an expert.
We at Ankur Rehab Centre, a leading and Best De Addiction Centre in India can help. Our experts offer assistance for mental health issues and foster the ideal relationships with our patients who reach us for healthy living.
Get in touch!